I am hoping to get tabs for KWin in a view month and the Mozilla Project is discussing what innovative concept will come after tabs.
"Reinventing Tabs in the Browser - How can we create, navigate and manage multiple web sites within the same browser instance?" is the questing of the Design Challenge 2009.
What fascinates me:
- Another concept of bringing the Internet to the desktop (compared to KDE's approach of integrating the web into the desktop).
- How they are thinking into the future and drive real innovation.
- How they designed and started the campaign (nice website, many involved specialists (look at "cooperations with" and "partners" at the bottom of the page), ...).
- To visualize search results from nepomuk not in a list but 2D in the dimensions relevance (top-down) and chronology (time, left-right) (see the last link) or
- the idea that content that is opened / used in the same time frame might belong together.
- Design Challenge 09: http://design-challenge.mozilla.com/summer09/
- What's next after tabs? http://informationarchitects.jp/designing-firefox-32/
- an extension for Firefox to structure the tabs in a tree view: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5890
- or: http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/firefoxnext-tabs-on-the-side/
- Some points about the browser as the new operating system: http://softwareas.com/taking-browser-tabs-seriously
- Visualize search results in the dimensions relevance and chronology: http://www.lizblankenship.com/tabviz/?tag=mockup