Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Installing Linux with KDE 4 on a Thinkpad R61

After removing Vista from my new Thinkpad R61 I decided this time to install OpenSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.1 (I run Kubuntu at the office, and I wanted to try another distribution.)
It took about 15 minutes until it was finished. Then I downloaded the online updates, added some programs and adjusted the desktop (plamoids and KDE4 composit desktop effects).
Network, WLAN, 3D-effects, sound (in and out), suspend to disk when the battery is low, ... worked fine out of the box. Congratulations to the whole open source community! Excellent work!

Only a few things don't work properly.
  • The fingerprint reader is not recogniced (but I don't need it).
  • I could aktivate bluetooth (after installing some bluetooth packages and the activation of bluetooth in YAST) but it is not possible to connect with my mobil phone (Nokia) longer than 3 seconds. I will work on that later.
  • Sun Presenter screen couldn't be installed. I will post on that later.
  • WLAN is connecting only in one out of 10 times. (Works pretty good now.)
  • Highspeed USB-stick is not recognized. (I have to deactivate ehci with "sudo /sbin/modprobe -r ehci_hcd")

No comments: